What Documents Вo I Need to Open a Trucking Company? - Truck Dispatcher Training

What Documents Вo I Need to Open a Trucking Company?

Trucking is one of the most heavily regulated industries in the United States. So if you dream of opening a trucking company, be prepared to spend a lot of time, energy, and money to meet the requirements of the U.S. government. Today, we will tell you what documents are required to open a trucking company. Our article will be presented as an instruction.

Step 1: Obtaining a commercial driver’s license

All drivers are required to have a valid commercial driver’s license in order to operate trucks that are classified as heavy. Their processing includes:

What Documents Вo I Need to Open a Trucking Company?

A commercial driver’s license can only be issued if the person is at least 18 years old to drive a heavy truck within the state and at least 21 years old to drive a heavy truck between states.
Note that each state has adopted unique CDL testing standards. Check with your local Department of Motor Vehicles office for information on this issue.

Step #2. Obtaining MC and USDOT plates

Without them, it is impossible to transport goods across America. A USDOT number is needed to check your company’s safety record, while an MC number is used to identify the type of business and type of goods.

MC and USDOT numbers are obtained when your trucking company registers with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). This information is entered into two documents: the Motor Carrier Identification Report and the Application for Safety Certification.

Step #3. Adding to the UCR system

Its purpose is to continually verify carriers’ insurance contracts.

Addition to the UCR system is based on MC and USDOT numbers.

Step #4. Applying for IRP designation

What Documents Вo I Need to Open a Trucking Company?

It allows you to work in all states. You will also be able to work with people from some provinces in Canada if you have an IRP Mark.

To apply for an IRP sign, go to the official website of the state Department of Transportation of the state where your trucking company is located.

Step #5. Filling out the BOC-3 form

This is used to designate a person as the legal “agent of process” in each state where you are present. For example, if your trucking company is based in Louisiana and someone has sued you from Florida, you will need a Florida lawyer.

To fill out the BOC-3 form, research the information at www.fmcsa.dot.gov.

Step #6. Request a SCAC code

This was created to identify trucking companies. If you plan to transport military, government, international, or intermodal cargo, you will need a SCAC code.

To request a SCAC code, go to the National Trucking Association portal.

Our latest posts

all news